About eight fullly booked boatloads (150 people!) attended a special heritage open day on Quarantine Island/Kamau Taurua recently. Visitors enjoyed exploring, picnicking, and learning a little about the history and ecology of the island.
The event was partly a fundraiser for the next stage of the restoration of the historic Married Quarters building, which dates from 1873 when the island was used as the Quarantine station for early immigrants to Otago.
However, it was also just a chance to introduce people to this special Island. We were delighted by the high level of interest and enjoyment, and thanks to all the volunteers that made it happen.